Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Why I choose ISB over Duke - Finally, got it !!!

I know this post that has been long pending. My detailed analysis of the merry situation I was in back in Nov 2008 - ISB or Duke - was lying hidden somewhere in my cluttered lappy. While cleaning up my system today for formatting at ISB, I found the personalized reasons why I choose ISB over Duke. I think capturing the whole thought in this post makes sense for a) My own future reference b) Future aspirants who may land in similar confusion c) More journalists who may be seeking to follow Business Week & HT to cover the big ISB vs US schools story.

Little obvious disclaimer - The analysis, the rationale, and pros & cons attached to each school are entirely mine. I was emotionally independent and avoided being influenced by a single person during the whole analysis. Understandably, each point is debatable. Each point needs to be taken with pinch of salt. However, I believe I made the right choice, the right fit for me.


Sometime back in Nov 2008, in order to arrive at an informed decision I decided to apply Grid Analysis over ISB vs Duke, my favorite decision making technique for complex decisions. One of the factors that contribute towards a good Grid Analysis is that you thought through the situation and various factor involved. If you don’t know the technicalities of Grid Analysis, refer my previous post here . Therefore, I discussed with number of Alumni and current students from both sides of the world – US schools & ISB. Further, I conducted the following SWOT analysis of ISB and Duke.

SWOT Analysis of Duke:

Strengths:
 Excellent network, education, professors
 Post-MBA prospects with better leadership roles, on radar of management in MNC
 Diversity and Global recognition forever

Weaknesses:
 Extremely high on initial cost
 Have to stay in US for more than decade – an option that may disturb the family balance

Opportunities:
 Global and Diversified program
 Break Indian mindset forever

Threats:
 Cost
 Impact on personal life

SWOT Analysis of ISB:

Strengths:
 Help maintain balance between personal and professional life
 Better placed to position me in General Management track with Indian group or companies
 Very convenient program with no additional hassles of loan, visa, international opportunities, less ambiguous, huge brand, food, laundry. Hence, all focus on skill development & fun.
 Cost incurred and time involved is less.

Weakness:
 Lack of International Diversity and global exposure
 Networking opportunities and peer student’s exposure will not match Duke
 Lesser time to immerse in the program and understand the concepts in depth

Opportunities
 Less initial expense means option to explore for starting own business or some other risks
 Will have option to explore interests in emerging market, writing, and join friends – Back to life.
 Explore international positions after ISB n hence, benefit overall
 Uncertainty on Market situation means ISB is better placed for the same.
 Already have strong connections within ISB and Indian MBA position. Will complement.
 6 times cost-benefit advantage – 1/3 cost and ½ times.
 Better chances that in future I will leverage Indian connections rather than big network from Duke

Threats
 Too much placement focus in the school
 Alumni still not in higher position

Finally, here’s the Grid Analysis of ISB vs Duke that led to my answer.



In my own little world, ISB took a significant lead from Duke here. I am happy with the choice I made. They say, every decision is right in perspective and I am confident that my perspective is representative of my inherent desires.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Vinit.. very interesting article :)

Jus wanted to understand your grid a bit. For example, in the cost column how does ISB get a score of 15 and Duke 6 ?