Monday, April 27, 2009

Campus Updates - It's picking up !!!

With acads picking up, corridor conversations have shifted dramatically over past few days. From "Which Section you are in" to "Have you completed pre-reads". Increasingly people are forming their own comfort zones and hanging out there. However, you will still find many people whom you haven't met but most of the times there are now common friend to lead the introduction. Still there are times when the big bad octopus of Network encircles you and you bump into a complete stranger. Both parties introduce each other with a mutual understanding that both will soon forget the names but remember the face, and greet each other next time you bump in. Those are the updates on ISB Networking.

As for the classes, here goes some of my observations.. "Your CP is your legacy. Years down the line, your class mates will remember you by the quality of CP you make" was the first thing told to us by our marketing professor. So much for the peer pressure at ISB. But I take it as more of fun. Understandably there will be people who will do CP that will sound as ACP or DCP to many. But I think challenge for all of us is to learn to not get turned off by those comments. Rather gain the patience to embrace them or better do some CCP (Constructive CP) to bring the topic back to potent discussion. Somewhere everyone is right in his/her own world. It's takes courage to stand against the crowd and speak what you stand for. I trust that soon we will settle down and things will make lot more sense to all of us. Incessant positivist!!

Digging further into my experiences of the first day and the pre-reads / post-reads associated with the class, I have enjoyed my marketing class. While most of us submerged ourselves in the pre-read, the prof rocked the topic with numerous example that helped make sense of the all the circuitous concepts in the book. I like this example the most - Coca Cola was about to launch a vending machine that determined price of the bottle based on two different sensors - One that counts the no: of bottles left and the other that gauges the temp outside. So much for innovation and marketing!

Currently, I am on to my Stats pre-read. (Honestly I don't know why I am here - Writing. I still have 2 chapters to complete)...As much analytical people may think it to be, I guess the pre-read rocks with the practical applications of the subject. Everything written is just general concepts that we all apply in our daily lives. It's great to learn the structure around the same. Given my incessant liking for example, I will quote one from my pre-read - Walmart maintains database of all the transaction that has happened in its stores and the size of the database is three times the size of all material on Internet {:O}. Given this huge repository, Walmart was able to calculate what exactly people need while stocking stuff for Hurricane - Strawberry Pop-Sticks - and stuffed the same. Cool!! I increasingly feel that all the concepts we will learn are all common sense a.k.a Management. It's the practical applications and example from past will underscore our understanding of the concepts.

Finished with the random rambling and hence rejuvenated. Back to my stats pre-reads!! Ciao!!

No comments: