Thursday, July 10, 2008

On the Dot Mr. AB

It's a well said old adage that 'You don't know importance of something unless you loose it'. Something similar happened to me today. Sometimes we are so accustomed to something that we donot realize how that thing uncounciously becomes an integral part of our life. I am referring to my habit to sit for many hours on my laptop and surf various websites, informational articles, blogs, business journals. Suddenly today, as I sat with my lappy, I realized I am not able to open GMAIL. I am not able to open my Blog. I am not able to open www.economictimes.com. Gtalk is also not working. What's wrong ? After diligent analysis, I found that my internet is not working. I checked my router & modem. Everything looked fine. Perhaps Airtel has discontinued the services since we did not pay bills for past 2 months. What a way to remind your customers !!

I was clueless for few minutes. What do I do with this laptop in front of me ? Counciousness struck that Internet and Laptop are two different things. Now that I have Laptop but not Internet I have to think how to best utilize this opportunity that's different and little boaring to start with. At the onset the best options seemed to give my lappy some rest and turn to some book or TV. But, I was hell bent on spending time on my laptop without internet. So here is the list of activities that I did in next couple of hours:

> Organized all the random data, articles, and softwares that I have collected over a time.
> Listened music - Perhaps the only activity on this list that I do even when I have internet
> Prepared a Video Song from the pics of the wonderful time spent at ILP, Trivandrum
> Add / Remov unused programs, disk formatting, and cleared cache to enhance the performance of the system.
> Played some creative games I downloaded sometime back but never touched.
> Uploaded my I-POD with new songs and podcasts.
> Wrote this Blog.

Seriously, it was fun. It was different and interesting. Try it out sometime. For Old times sake !!! Just sit on your computer and decide not to connect to internet. You will break monotony, find loads of untouched files, and feel fresh to get online the next day :) and most importantly, remember days few years back when getting online was such a privelege. We are changing as fast as things around us are. Perhaps that's why it took me couple of minutes to realize that without internet I can't open websites as I do everyday.

Lastly, I close this blog recollecting Amitabh Bachan's dialouge from Sarkar Raj when his wife tries to convince him that 'badtale waqt ke sath badalna chahiye' and he replies 'Badlte Waqt ke se sath agar hum badal gaye to kaise pata chalega ki Waqt badal gaya'. On the Dot Mr. AB !!

No comments: