Tuesday, June 10, 2008

An enthusiastic build up for eventually a failed attempt - TAS !!

As I progressed in professional career, I kept on searching for my ultimate destination. I started my search with the cliché comment "I can't do coding whole my life" to today's well thought career development plan that will render immense professional and personal satisfaction. In additional, I have developed porous boundaries of principles and values I have come to appreciate and will always follow for my life.

Either it was my family's influence or my association with Tata Group's jewel TCS, I have become well defined in my principles. During my career, I have 'missed' several excellent professional opportunities just because I knew it may not be in best interest of the organization. I had decided that I will transparent about my plans and aspirations with my seniors, as I would expect from my sub-ordinates. A case in point is my recent denial to join World Bank project in Washington because I communicated to Senior Managers that since I have applied for TAS, I will be available only after TAS selection process is over. My deliberations have been met with mild criticism and often, subject of leg-pulling by my acquaintance. However, one person who has always congratulated my act and provided inspiration to stay integral is my grandfather.

An old person with weary eyes and shaky voice, he is a man of principles. Since childhood, I have heard about his heroics during his young days from my relatives. I recall the day when I jubilantly jumped at home to announce my campus selection in TCS. The fact that TCS was first company to show at my college and only two people, including me, were selected in 2 rounds of interview had furthered my elation. My grandfather, however, knew little about TCS and showed signs of worry of the kind of company I will work for. I told him "Grand Paa, It's a TATA company". Almost instantly, he stood with his trembling legs and pulled out a 100 rupee note that I should donate in the temple. He further advised me that Tata's are good people and I should work for best of my abilities. Little did I understand his point during those days After all, I will be working with TCS - an software company. What is to do with Tata Group?

Today, as I retrospect, I understand my Grandfather's point. Tata Group is deeply rooted with core values of integrity and social responsibility. I have inculcated these traits in me today, reinforced by the professional setup in TCS and my family's persistent social involvement. In addition, the clouds over my Ultimate Destination have cleared.

As a professional, I have always enjoyed strong equity within my sphere of influence. In addition, I have valued professional excellence and always seeked opportunities to extend my contributions beyond the assigned roles. With just 7 months of experience, I associated myself with two development projects. In less than 2 years, I was with a new strategic client "Siemens" with responsibility to make first good impression of TCS and initiate the project. In past, I have also worked in capacity of Team Lead and in Pre-sales activities. I have mentored around 20 people and interviewed numerous candidates. I have always valued rotation and seeked such opportunities in my career. Now, my focus has shifted beyond IT and professional rise in uni-directional manner. I am after my ultimate destination now.

Tata Administrative Services, TAS, provides the perfect breeding ground to my experiences and aspirations. I deeply value and imbibe the core principles of TATA group. I feel connected with Tata and the day Corus, JLR deals were announced it was not less than festival for me. The professional journey that TAS provides is a perfect setting to achieve Generic Management skills where after dedicated training, I will be able to respond to organization's dynamic requirements such as "We have a company in Singapore that is shaping itself to take on new directions and challenges. We want you to lead the same" and I shall be off. TAS is the destination where I can build sustained equity, rotate in various roles and industries have freedom to express, shape socio-economic policies, and contribute to nation-building - A.K.A my Ultimate Destination. TAS selection process is about to commence. Now it's time for execution. After all, things are done first in my mind and then in action.

No comments: