Friday, June 20, 2008

15 Minute Journalism

Today I read of a powerful concept somewhere (I really need to structure my reading habits to remember where I read what.).

If you hope to inculcate writing habits in yourself, improve your writing skills, and simply want to become more aware of what is happening around you then take a plunge to write everyday / at least on weekend for 15 minutes. You may choose any time of the day you are comfortable, early morning with a sip of coffee or late night before sleeping.

The idea is to not just write about some facts or traverse back through your day or some string of events. The idea is to write about absolutely anything but reach some conclusions, what you liked or disliked, why something became important to you. This will lead you to become a better write with clear opinion about the world and about yourself. I found the concept a powerful one. Some good habits if adopted well can change you a lot.

I have friend who has developed a beautiful habit. He reads a book before sleeping. In fact he has been so consistent that of-late he has started saying that he can’t fall asleep unless he reads some book. Sometimes after a party (apne eeestyle ki party ) he expresses interest to read a book. Subconsciously, he has programmed himself that way. It’s another fact that he an absolute bastard: P, a complete waste for all his talents, and too lazy: P (I know you are dying to hear his name and some of you may have guessed, yet I will refrain from naming him :) ). As far as books are concerned, he always has a book to read, next one planned, and previous one to speak about. It’s tough to admit but yes, I am inspired by him.

I need to do something similar with this beautiful blog. (Beautiful – Ahh some self congratulations after all the good comments from blessed souls). It is here that I have decided to voice my opinions, guts, and learning as a part of 15 minute journalism initiative (I realize that if by some magical pill I can inculcate this habit I will well overshoot my target for 100 blogs this year).

No comments: