Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A change and a hope - Can he deliver ?

Obama, the 44th President of United States, took the oath today. Given the importance of United States economy that drives the world economy makes this event a historic one for millions facing the dual challenges of worsening economy and ever-rising terrorism inside as well as outside America. That also explains to my curious mind why I saw lot of Indians watching closely the oath ceremony at office today. Obama choose his moto of “Change” and “We Can” at a time when these themes connected with hearts and minds of people deeply. His popularity is rising exponentially across the world – that explains that more than 2 million people have there status with something mentioned about Obama today and that I am writing this post – Amazing for guy with such humble beginning.

One of the anecdotes that I continue to fall back when I think of Obama is when I hired a Taxi with an African-American driver for my Duke Interview. A night before Obama was elected as the President and I drew my own inspiration from this man, thinking nothing is impossible and that he has outlived his critics and defied history. Yet, the first hand comments from the Taxi driver brought me closer to what Obama’s selection means to African-American population in US as well as other minorities across the world. The taxi driver said “You seem to be from India. I am sure one day will come when an Indian will become President of US also”. When I asked why he thinks so, he replied, “Mannnn, this country is free and open now. Anyone can do anything now. I didn’t get lot of opportunities but I am sure my kids will do well now”. For a moment, I was taken aback because being used to Indian democracy, which I think is great, I am not used to think that a citizen of India can’t become a president or PM. We have Sikh PM and had a Muslim President, who collectively led a Hindu dominated country. Indian system is great and way ahead of other democracies and I think US is going in the same direction. The election of Obama as president has dawned a new era that will defy age old fundamentals of fascism and racism in Western world.

Coming to Obama’s speech today, if I were to baseline some of his previous speeches I think this was an average one. Although the content and every word made a lot of sense yet I think too many things were discussed – perhaps that’s need to hour but left me with numerous messages with nothing that stuck my head. I continue to rate his “Don’t tell me words don’t matter” speech the best ever I heard. A great orator and I am already a fan of his Public Speaking skills, I think a quality that most of our Indian politicians lack. As much as I have heard and read about Obama, I have found him as a person who talks and connects to the real problems faced at the grassroots level – talking of using sun to harness energy, reducing energy consumption, rebuilding roads, creating jobs, healthcare, and reducing excessive focus on punishing terrorist. Everything a common man today hopes for and would want to hear. Some of the text that I liked was “We choose hope over fear today”, “For everywhere we look, there is work to be done”. Lot of ambitious plans that encompass almost every aspect we can think of. I think with this tall promises and high hopes Obama will also with scrutinized and monitored more closely than ever, especially with millions of people hoping a miracle now with this change. He will need to move at a rapid pace something that his predecessors haven’t given him in legacy. The task is cut out for him, the ground is set, and world waits what changes he can bring. The first one I came to know was that he led a African-American taxi driver believe in himself and envision his children’s bright future. Can he bring same hope to rest of the world? He is change and a hope - can he deliver !!!

No comments: