Monday, December 22, 2008

My Journey to ISB !!!

Thanks to ISB Class of 2010 to kick off an interesting contest, Blog War. The first topic couldn’t have been better - “My Journey to ISB”. I believe this topic is going to serve two purposes. First, it will make all participants re-live the passionate, nervous, and joyful moments of their ISB pursuit. Second, these posts will serve as a data points for future ISB aspirants. We are going to create database of personal stories of ~10 ISB admitted students –their aspirations, fears, thoughts, and interests. ISB Class of 2010 is already on a song. So, with intentions to live my ISB journey again and to help ISB aspirants, I proceed to my first autobiographical post.

Sachin Tendulkar during his interview after breaking Brian Lara’s world record to become highest Test run scorer said something that touched my heart “It’s the journey of success where stones are thrown at you and you turn them into milestones”. Not to compare my accomplishment with my God’s, yet I can absolutely relate my ISB story with this phrase. I have had a fair share of disappointments before eventually reaching the acme of my journey.

Pre-ISB Mania – How I fell in love

I first heard about ISB in March 2006 when a colleague made it to ISB. She and I took CAT in 2005 but scored way below what was expected of us. She, however, was way more informed that I was. She applied to ISB based on her CAT score, cracked the interviews, and secured an admission after clearing GMAT cut-off set by ISB. I then realized the difference it makes to have educated and well-versed individuals to guide you. I belonged to a small town, with quite ignorant parents and didn’t have the luxury to be guided and coached. I decided then to develop such assets (Buzz work Networking) to gain wider perspective and guidance. As I will explain later, this habit to question, learn, and just talk with even a complete stranger has been my strongest ally during my ISB journey. In mid 2006, I got an opportunity to come to Orlando, US on a project from TCS and that’s when my ISB pursuit formally started.

A Raw and Passionate Attempt – First propose

Since I was all alone during initial stay in US, GMAT books became my ally. I started GMAT prep, unclear of where I am heading. MBA was a black box during those days. It seemed like a magic pill that will heal all my wounds, make me successful forever, and end all my worries. It was a magnet to me – I didn’t know why then, nor had the maturity to explore. I simply had raw passion to crack GMAT and go to ISB. I prepared for around 10 weeks for GMAT and scored an average 690. That was the first stone throw in my journey. Wise from my CAT experience, I choose to just apply to gain exposure. I was always appreciated by my friends for my writing skills. However, ISB essays seemed different ball-game. It wasn’t that simple. I did my best and choose to review essays with an acquaintance in Orlando (Networking was already working here). He completely blasted my essays that shocked and surprised me. All my friends praised but a stranger found them rubbish. What’s wrong? I realized I was comparing myself with wrong peer group. I decided that my college, school, and town friends will continue to be extremely important for me but will no longer be my comparison group. That was an extremely important realization since it helped me shift focus and get out of my comfort zone. Coming back to application, my efforts were not sufficient and ISB send me a rejection without inviting me for interview in Jan 2007. That was an abrupt end to a raw and passionate journey. I didn’t address “What” and “Why” questions then, nor did knew I should address those. However, my response to rejection was quite mature. I accepted that I haven’t done enough to feel disappointed. For the first time, I appreciated the learning irrespective of the results. That realization and reaction in itself is my first milestone.

An Informed Attempt – Second Propose

Before this attempt, I improved my profile by taking additional responsibilities in work and outside. Further, since I found so many gaps in my first attempt that I ruled out all other B-school and thought that if I can address the identified gaps, I can make to ISB itself. I paved my way for an extremely risky path. But that’s how you behave when you are mad in love. By the time ISB applications commenced, I improved my GMAT to a confident 730. I dived deep into essay writing and earned an interview call. It was the second happiest moment of my ISB journey. I knew that there is another mountain to climb- ISB Interview. During preparation, I realized my weakness to answer deep “Why” questions but somehow made up for the gaps. I did well during interview. One of the craziest questions that I cracked was “How many schools should be opened in India so that every child who is not able to go to school today can go to school”. I was confident of a “YES” from ISB. I was in flight to Hyderabad in my dreams. One fine morning, an abrupt “Rejection” email de-boarded me forever. That was the biggest and hardest stone throw I ever faced in my life that later turned into the most significant milestones of my journey.

My ISB rejection was followed by the toughest period of my life. My confidence took a hit, my professional career derailed, and I began to doubt myself. I returned to India without any gifts and chocolates for friends and family. SRK’s dialogue in OSO “Apni filmoin ki tarah, apni zindagi mein bhi end mein sab theek ho hi jata hai” seemed superficial. I became unusually quite that concerned my friends and family. I was at verge of giving it up but some thing kept the hope alive – something kept on telling me “Ek bar aur too banta hai”. The brief dull period followed with a period of intense introspection where I grew and learned most – about MBA, about life, and about myself. I evaluated almost all phases of my personal and professional aspirations, associated “Why”, “When”, “What if not” to everything. Looking outwards, I networked with people from virtually every B-school in the globe. I would simply talk to someone I find on Orkut, Facebook, Blog, B-school websites and learn something. In retrospect, I am thankful to ISB to reject me since I may have never learned so much and become the person I am now, If I were not humbled by ISB rejection despite my best possible attempt.

A Mature Attempt – Third Propose and she said "YES"

By this time, I developed number of unique stories to compliment my profile, excelled professionally, gained deep understanding of MBA applications through my networking, and improved my written and verbal skills significantly. I put my heart, blood, and sweat in my essays and was satisfied with the representation of my professional, personal, background, aspirations, and achievements. Since I had already opened up for International B-schools, I also applied to Duke in Early Action round. A list of back-ups for R-2 was also prepared.

ISB Interview call was more or less expected. The actual interview was, however, not as smooth as I expected. Huge pressure and high expectations brought an element of nervousness. The short 15 minutes interview also concerned me. There is no fun in disclosing it now that I got in this time, since you already know. But let me share that along with ISB I also got admitted to Duke in EA round. Duke news broke earlier and like your first kiss, you enjoy your the first admit more. However, my ISB admit was greeted with amazing responses from my friends – some actually shouted, jumped, and what not!! Maannnnnn for a moment I thought that they made it to ISB. A close friend who didn’t booze, self organized a party and took 6 vodka shots, that too when I was in US and he in India. Can you beat that?

That day, my Gtalk status message read “It was never a question of “if” it was always a question of “when”. That day SRK’s OSO complete dialogue made sense “Apni filmoin ki tarah, apni zindagi mein bhi end mein sab theek ho hi jata hai. Aur agar sab theek na ho, to who the end nahin, picture abhi baki hai mere dost”. That day, the confident Vinit I knew was back.

What it means for what lies ahead

ISB Admission will continue to be important to me because this is a testimony to my persistence and actuation of a dream. I will continue to be motivated by my own efforts (Looking back, I am also surprised by my efforts, by what made me come this far). I will continue to look at positive side of any failures I may face in my life – the learning from experiences, the next opportunities. I completely understand that the journey ahead will perhaps be tougher, harder, and stakes would be higher. MBA and ISB are just bridges, a connection that will complement what I have and supplement what I want. However, I approach what lies ahead after actually living the golden words from my hero: “It’s the journey of success where stones are thrown at you and you turn them into milestones”. This realization is my biggest takeaway from my ISB journey thus far.

P:S: For my ISB Class of 2010, I have already rejected Duke and decided to join ISB since it creates a lot of balance in all aspects of my life(more to come on that). Look forward to meet you all.

32 comments:

Sweta said...

It takes a lot of courage to write such a candid post!! :)
Looking forward to meet you too.

Vinit Garg said...

So it does to read such a long post :P :)) !! C a !!

Shouvik Sarkar said...

Fantastic post, Vinit. Reveals your mettle as a person; if I were wearing a hat, I'd doff it for you.
Two thumbs up to what I think (pre-empt, if I may) should be the winning blog post.

Anonymous said...

dost....I really want to meet you at ISB. I at times thought ISB ke liye mujh se zyaada koi nahi passionate ho sakta - maybe u are ahead of me.

The Teacher said...

Ditto!!!

A very well written post. Should be the winning one.

Um viajante said...

You wear your heart on your sleeve mate. Keep up the passion

Unknown said...

SteVe jOb cOmmEncMenT sPeEcH <= nAnU's sPeEcH >> nExT time want to seE your video in ISB gIviNg sAmE sPeEch..

Anonymous said...

Awesome post, Vinit. A textbook-style inspiring story! Looking forward to meeting you!

GMAT Jedi said...

Congrats Vinit! If your readers would like some free GMAT prep resources, take a look at this site.

Anonymous said...

Nice post mate!!!

Tirtha Basu said...

I witnessed your journey from raw to refine.
I never thought it possible that one can do a Mohd Ali after repeated blows...resolute determination.
You will stay as my living example of Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Vinit, World's calling !! Go for it.

Kushal said...

I have seen and felt the passion, frustration and euphoria!!

As the saying goes

May you live in interesting times.


Cheers!!

Unknown said...

a very passionate and insipring post Vinit. Keep it up.
I need to ask you more about post ISB rejection preperations. Please let me know your preferred medium.

Vinit Garg said...

@KukkuFollower - You may reach me at mailtovinitgarg@gmail.com

Unknown said...

nice blog

www.edvantageindia.in

Santosh Rout said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Santosh Rout said...

This story is going to inspire a lot of people out there, Simply Amazing !!

Thanks, Its good to read stuff which is written directly from the heart.

Unknown said...

Hi Vinit,

This was very inspiring. I am probably in a similar situation but your reaction to it has been far more mature.

Heartiest congratulations for getting what you wanted and all the best for the future.

Cheers,
Nakul

Unknown said...

I traveled a journey with your essay......this is what I call a "Success"

Rachit said...

This is brilliant,didnt I tell you today that you are damn inspiring.. This is the reason why ..

Fantastic...

Rachit

Sankalp Khanna said...

Hi Vinit,

Just a random visitor,I stumbled at your blog.Its 2 AM and I sit here reading this and have no words to describe your article.

Hope to get inspired and make my ISB dream come true.

Thanks for the incredible post.

Best,
Sankalp

Anonymous said...

picture abhi baaki hai mere dost..is what I now say to myself!
A passer-by to your blog just became an inspired-by by your words..you prove that it made sense for Oxford to include Passion
as a word in its dictionary..I am sure life is equally a passion for you and you will win every bit of it!!

Sonali said...

Excellent post!!! Now I realize that behind your confident demeanor lies a truly enriching experience... guess this is what it takes to get where you are...

Vinit Garg said...

@Sonali - Thanks. It wouldn't be long before you will be writing/speaking about your journey in even better ways. I could sense that during our interaction :) !! Let me know if I can be of any help !! Gud Luck.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Agree...this one is straight from heart...a learning in itself....i could sense the relief and accomplishment you would be having when you wrote this..Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere...Gud luk for your future

Aditya said...

Hi Vinit,

I might not be the best person to rate this blog. I read the whole post and it really spoke to me! That probably says a lot more about it than calling it 'good' or 'great' would. I suppose there is a lot to learn from inside the cabin office that I haven't tapped in yet (taking your cue on networking)!! Great post, a friend once told me he wants to pick up the pen again, and I can't see what is stopping him.

Aditya

Ramit said...

Vinit,

I think I have read the post at a very apt time (neither early nor late ;)) in my life..:)

Just brilliant!

Ramit

Sumit said...

Hi Vinit,

Very Inspiring blog. Read it on a very appropriate time.

Thanks for this!

Sumit

MaNiSh KuMaR said...

WOW!! What a Post!!!
RESPECT Sir..If You reading this Take a Bow...

Being a re-applicant to ISB, (dinged without even an i/v call)I had my set of doubts but meeting you personally yesterday at ISB meet and reading this post have given me a ray of hope.

Thank you and All the Best for life :)

Vinit Garg said...

Manish - Thanks. It was a pleasure meeting you and All the best for your applications.

Vinit

ISB Mantra said...

Thanks for Sharing Quality information With us
ISB interview Preparation | ISB interview Questions