Thursday, December 20, 2007

ToastMaster Speech - A new Begning

Over the past few years, I have developed a habbit to write. This lovely blog has been my partner in a decision that I took last year to better the Writer in me. It feels great today to be complimented for the blogs and other writes I do. Ofcourse, this is an ongoing journey to improve everyday. However, looking at an email about ToastMaster Club in my office, I thought this is an opportunity to externalize the writer in me to be a good public speaker as well. I have no idea of how good or bad speaker I am and this was an opportunity to discover.

I ventured to attend my first toastmaster session today. It was a wonderful experience. The people there were absolutely fantastic. The moment I entered the room, there was a huge cheer. "Ladies and Gentlemen, Here we have our first and the only Guest for today !!" It was wonderful to see a group 30 people, completely unknown to me, cheering for me. On the back of mind, I thought "Who said Indians are best hosts. I have never received such reception before".

I sat comfortably along with a jovial and fun-loving old lady, only to discover later of her naughty instincts. There was a person speaking on a black pen. He was absolutely fantastic in his speech and incorporated the typical American original sense of humor. I like American's humor a lot now a days. The moment he finished, another person referred as "Table Master" stood up. I noticed from the corner of my eye the old lady making gestures to the "Table Master" pointing towards me. I was confused at first.

"Ladies and Gentlemen,now we welcome our Guest to come and give us all a speech. Would you like to come and speak Mr. Guest" said the Table Master. I froze. Everybody started to look at me and I was the center of everybody's focus. "Now ? Today ?" were the only two words that I uttered. I came to this meeting just to see how it goes and had no idea what would happen inside. Everybody had a fountain laughter and clapped. "Yes, we would love to listen from you" said someone from the audience. What a crowd I thought. I decided to give it a shot. I was nervours but I was equally thrilled.

I went up to the table. The Table Master explained me that I have put my hand inside the Magic Bag and speak on the item that I grab for less than 2 minutes. Hmm less than 2 minutes ..Infront of 30 complete strangers. Anyways, I gathered my breath and begin to believe that my throat has not gone dry and I can make it. Before I put my hand into the bag, I said something like this:

"Before I begin this wonderful practice, I had like to share with you how I feel right now. Ofcourse all of you must have had the same feeling at some point of time when you gave your first speech. I read it somewhere that the number one fear of all human beings is "public speaking" and the number two is "Death". The article intrigued me and I decided I cannot become immortal or may be I already am but I can conciously become a good public speaker. So here I am and I thank you all for giving me this opportunity" -- Cheers and loud clapping and suddenly I thought I belong to the people there.

The item that came out from the bag was a packet of "Mint Choclates". I looked at it for a moment, gathered my thoughts. Suddenly there was nothing there in my head, instead my heart spoke. I spoke for 1 minute and 30 seconds on the piece I had in my hand. I don't think I did well during the whole speech. I could hit some light chords such as "As I generous person, I would love to distribute these choclates to all of you. But since the number of choclates is lesser than audience and I can't see some of you not having even a single piece, I will rather keep all of these for myself :)". The audience laughed and cheered and I was myself. There were numerous things I could have done better. There were numerous thoughts that come to me now but not then. However, I am happy that I took my first step and ofcourse this is an another ongoing journey.

It was very encouraging when the Table Master at the end said that not a single guest till today has come forward and spoke on his first day here. It was a great speech ViniD "Yeah, still have issues in my accent and Americans pick D instead of T in my name Vinit". The "ah" "Ummm" "So" "You know" calculator told me that I had very few such words in my articulation, amazingly high for the first timer. Encouraging again !!

They say "It is always hard to take the first step, the rest just follow". I took my first step in public speaking on a myraid topic today. It is one thing to speak in a meeting or in a presentation or in a town hall to the audience you know on cognitive and creative level and It is completely different to speak in ToastMaster Club. I don't know how directly or indirectly public speaking is conneted to me but I believe in Steve Jobs who said that "Ofcourse it is impossible to see how the dots will connect looking forward. But trust me, they do. Follow your heart. And the confidence and belief that the dots will connect will make all the required difference in your deeds and actions. Believe in something and follow it.". Amazing words of wisdom !!

Thank you ToastMaster for the opportunity to add a new Dot to myself and I definately look forward to associate with this club in Gurgaon. Ah yesss... The Mint Choclates were absolutely fantastic !!!

Ciao

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hero
Kab se logon ke agggeee fekna challlu kiya?
aise karega tho duniya ka kya hoga

My solution : Drink a bottle of rum and go to speak:)

Vinit Garg said...

Dada,

Your solution is fantastic. Just that I am trying always to be in that mode even when normal :) !!!

Anonymous said...

Good deal. I like the fact that you are taking measures to improve your confidence/public speaking ability.
Keep up your good work.

Dadaji