Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Networking and Traveling !!!

Is traveling an integral part of Networking ? Does it essentially mean that traveling a lot will leave you with more people in your network ? From the back of my mind I can think of an eminent B-School interviewer asking an aspirant portraying "Networking" as his strength the following question "While traveling you meet a lot of people ? Do you remember them and keep in touch with them or just forget them ". Lets take on this one.

In this context, my transnational journey across continents to US leaves me with mixed experiences. While I traveled to US, I met a person at Paris Airport. I hanged out for about 2 hours with the person. The person was an Indian Business man at Miami, not having passed his +2, staying in US for about 8 years, indulged in activities like assisting people to come to US (legally or illegally, left for interpretation). I met him while traveling, shared some common interests with him (btw none of the above listed). I got his cell number and kept in touch with him while being in US. I got to know people who play cricket at Orlando and some students at UCF via him and may be I will keep in touch with him via emails and orkut now. So, the answer to the above question comes out to be "Yes, I like to meet new people while I travel and I take conscious steps to reinforce the links I establish. I also remember them and keep in touch with them". So far so good.

Ok. Now the spice you are waiting for.
During my journey back to India, I met lot more interesting people (For a 14 hours flight, you better think people you meet are interesting ). On one side sits a Monk from Tibet. A person who do not know English other than THANK YOU (Nice first words to learn though). A person reading his religious books throughout the flight. An occasional eye contact and a warm smile was all the communication I had with him. So, I met this person while I traveled. Did I communicate with him ? Yes, I did. Through the best acknowledged way of communication (Eye contact and Smile). But will I keep in touch with him ? Will I remember him ? "Certainly I will remember him through this lovely blog but how do I keep in touch with him or rather even if I want, can I keep in touch with him ? What time does he get online ? Will he get my emails during his religious rituals in a temple ? I am tempted to think he will be offended if his cell phones beeps with my SMS during his prayers .....Ohhh actually he do not have cell phone too. Enough, Next.

On the other seat sat an Old Canadian women. Amazing lady. Her purpose to visit India ... she found Taj Mahal beautiful and she wanted to have her photograph in front to Taj Mahal. That’s it. Can life be better. Just follow your dreams and your wishes. And you get a Non-Stop Continental Flight to assist. She was inquisitive about India and I showered on her words of wisdom, thanks to 23 years old Indian Mind. However I now realize how less I know about her than what she knows about me. She followed the golden rule for communication. "Talk to people what they like". Perfect. That is what this lady did, kept me talking all the time and took away with her along with my warm wishes, loads of information she was interested in. Now do I remember her ? Of Course yes. She finds a place at my blog. Can I be in touch with her ? Ummmmm !!! Next.

Sitting pretty in a train (precisely now when I write this on my beautiful laptop) from New Delhi railway station to my home town, Dhuri there sits an IAF officer, a person who mans the RADAR station at IAF Barnala unit. Interesting. The person guides the pilots on fighter plans in IAF. Wow !! Powerful position. He can have mighty fighter planes flying in total opposite direction. He tells me how better his life is than a normal civilian. Lovely. A person in love with his profession. Excellent. He made my journey interesting. Also I thank him for helping me fight my Jet lag. I will remember him and I hope to keep in touch with him :).

So out of three interesting persons I met during a 28 hours ordeal to meet my loving and longing parents I hope to keep in touch with one but I will remember all three.

Thanks Blog for helping me remember people.

No comments: