Friday, July 17, 2009

25% MBAed - ISB way !!

We are 25% MBA’s now. It time to celebrate!! While the whole campus has gone crazy with parties, I choose to travel back home to take some off. I am celebrating in my own way, through an intense 16 hour sleep schedule at my home. Parents are little concerned with my sleep timings and worry whether this is what I do at as well ISB. 20 Lakh for sleeping is little too much:P. Really, time flies at ISB. I heard that so many times, but its one thing to hear and another to experience the same. Many of us have been caught by surprise that Term 2 has already ended. Most of the people still remember the flow of Term 1 and connect back to things that happened there. But how exactly did Term 2 progress? Everyone thinks they hardly ever interacted with people sitting next to them in Term 2. There was hardly any gap between Mid Terms and End Terms. It’s like just yesterday when we spend 16 hours locked in a room understanding that Mark Start !! How come we ended so soon? Here is the brief snapshot of what all happened in Term 2 – as much as I vaguely remember!

In terms of Academics, Term 2 will always be remembered as Mark Strat and DMOP term. Two subject where opportunities to learn were immense yet the workload ensured that we succumb to just keeping pace with latest assignment submissions of these subjects. Personally, I really enjoyed the MarkStrat game. I think it helped me conceptualize everything taught in the class and it helped that we did well overall in the game. Given the addictive nature of the game, I am looking forward to participate in E-Strat – the global competition in the game. DMOP was a tough for me as for any non-engineers. Many engineers on campus were actually hiding their identity as engineers – such was the impact of the subject. Understandably the concepts taught in the subject have significant applications once we move to real world but most of us, looking towards marketing or strategy as career options, think we would not be directly involved in Operation related activities. Now coming to the subject that I and perhaps the whole campus loved and learnt most – Competitive Strategy!! Our section was unfortunate to miss out as we didn’t get Mr. Prashant Kale as our prof during first half but we were compensated with even better option – Mr. Harbir Singh. Each of 10 classes of CompStrat covered a case and opened up new dimensions for each of us. Whether it was about Potler’s five forces, or Cost based advantage of Southwest or Sustaining C.A. case for Wal-Mart – everything was so fascinating. The best part of each case was that we used to put over selves on a layer higher that CEO and analyze each and every move the CEO. No wonder Strategy Consulting is most sought after profession among MBA’s. My final comments on the fourth subject – Macro Economics! Excellent subject with huge implication of decoding the complex terminologies of Capital Markets, Labor Productivity, Debt-to-Equity Ratio, Free Trade etc. Economic Times has started way more sense now and I realize how superficial was my reading of ET earlier and what depth I used to miss. Also, I believe Macro Economics may not be of immediate use in short term for our careers but going forward, understanding Macro Economics concepts will be required to take decisions about operating any firm.

Along with these aspects, the number other activities took place at Campus in Term 2. I wish I could write on details of each. GSB Core and extended Core has been formulated, all CLUBs are functional now, already couple of conferences have been held at ISB, the bidding for Exchange Programs is over and many of CMs have got their first choice of exchange programs, ELP projects have already been declared and we have submitted our EOI for the same, ICON – Internal Consulting Initiative of ISB has also been kick started, LDP – Leadership Development Programs are also in progress, B-Plan competition preparations have started among several groups, Section Wise competitions for Relay Race, Swimming, Football took place and my section did well overall, number of Alumni have been pouring on campus to guide us further, and etc etc. It’s amazing how we manage to pull off all these activities along with on-going pressure of studies. I think this will be the biggest take away from ISB. Nothing will seem impossible or even difficult after this. You just need to jump into the waters and you are sure to find your way out.

All said n done, I think there is a huge conspiracy going in time theory. I think someone is manipulating against me and my holidays back home are getting expired quickly. I have mixed feeling while heading back to ISB to face the toughest term at ISB – Term 3. Nevertheless, I will be just matter of few hours (at least that’s what it appears) that Term 3 will be over and I will be writing a similar write up for 37.5% MBAed !!

No comments: