Thursday, March 13, 2008

A new dimension to my beloved blog

I am commencing this new label to capture my reading and my understandings of various article I read, situation I face, and people I observe. I hope this helps me track my progress, improve my understanding, and help me excel in this key subject!!

According to the Tata Leadership Practice, the three buckets a Leader should focus are:

> Leadership of Result
> Leadership of Business
> Leadership of People.

Amazing categorization I must admit. Of course, it is not tough to moot upon 10 more such buckets. However, I think above categorization follows the MECE [Mutually Exclusive Collectively Exhaustive] principle. Today I will venture to write on the first bucket - Leadership of Result

Results, a conception that has followed each one of us from the Kinder garden days. How much did you score in the exam? What position did you secure in your class? A lot would depend upon the results. A report card would decide whether I get chocolates, new cricket bat, a new red Bicycle or I get scolding, no vacation trips to relatives, and reduced cricket hours in the evening. We all have experienced similar instances in our lives and we have been nurtured to get results. So, what does result mean to leaders?

To me, the Results mean two things to leaders- first, to maintain the fire within themselves to achieve stellar results and second, to act as a spark plug to fire the zeal within their people to achieve even better results. I also believe that these increasingly simple looking two lines of "gyan" is among the most difficult things to achieve. A leader has to show and, more importantly, maintain exceptional energy level, establish high standards, and perceive things before its too late.

In addition, a successful leader has to provide breakthrough means to his team to achieve results. In doing so, leader needs to nurture innovation, maintain customer focus, and consistently educate his followers about the importance of results. I personally feel from my experiences that when people are informed about the importance of the work delegated to them and hence, recognized for their contribution, they are generally much more responsive, motivated, and energetic.

Ahhh..Beautiful composition I guess to kick-start my rejuvenation to give this blog a new avtaar.

A voice that echo currently in my mind is from a dear friend who would criticize such articles that reading and writing such articles is one thing but showing this attitude is another and "impossible" in bureaucratic, political set-ups in corporate world. I concur partially with him. Of course implementing this knowledge is paramount. However, I am also of the opinion that we work in two ways - First when we take risks, fail / pass, and learn from practical mistakes and second, when we learn things first and strive to implement them and continue to learn.

Isn't the second point the reason we all went to Kinder Garden. If only, I were to know these attributes earlier, perhaps I would have received more chocolates, more cricket kits, and more red Bicycles.

No comments: