Friday, February 01, 2008

Redefining Lives!!

It has been a unusally large break from blogging world. Number of factors have been the culprit.. I hope to revive this year's blog with this post....ciao

I had an experience this weekend while traveling back home from a person who embodies Mr. Ratan Tata’s thought process. Ironical it may sound; the comment came from an Auto driver.

As I boarded the auto, that my US client was so found of that he bought a toy Auto and kept on his desk, I could not resist my inquisitive self to engage the driver in conversation and seek insights of his thought process and aspiration. I began my conversation by asking him about his experiences as Auto Driver. He shed first experience details on the red tap auto drivers have to accommodate to get a contract to drive auto. Finally, the conversation drew towards Mr. Ratan Tata’s brainchild, Nano. I questioned him whether he intends to buy Nano and how he plan to use the car?

Promptly, he replied that “Sahab, hamare zaise log roz auto chalate hain, signal pe baddi baddi AC wali gadi dekh ke hamara bhi maan karta hai ki hum apne bachoon ko kabhi gaddi mein ghumyane. Tata Nano hamare sare sapne pure kar degi. Hum yeh gaddi zaroor lenge” [Sir, people like us drive auto the whole day. We see people in big AC cars everyday and we strive to provide such facilities to our children. Tata Nano is a dream car and I will certainly buy it]. I was amazed by his sensitivity and desire to have good resources. Additionally, I also could not help amaze at Mr. Ratan Tata’s vision and thought that connected so dearly with people at bottom of the pyramid.

The driver went ahead to question whether I, being Tata employee, could help him get car this year itself. He feared the production would be too low this year for ordinary people like him to get the car. Surprised at his such strong intent on the car, I expressed my helplessness in this matter but promised him that Mr. Tata has vision big enough to help him achieve his dreams.

I have always rated Cell phones as one gadget that during my lifetime have redefined India. Tata Nano definitely ranks in same the grade and perhaps even bigger, given the international impact the car has made. Perhaps, I will take a toy Nano for my US client next I go there. As I left the Auto that day, I could foresee the driver happily driving Tata Nano with his children playing at back seat, shielded of the scorching heat outside.

No comments: